The Marvin Ridge football team will have to forfeit its season-opening win over East Mecklenburg.
Sources familiar with the situation told Union County Weekly that the Mavs had to forfeit the Aug. 17 victory because they used a player who wasn’t yet eligible to compete in the game.
When reached for comment on Thursday, Aug. 30, Marvin Ridge athletics director Kevin Allran declined to comment but said a press release from the school’s administration was forthcoming. Union County Weekly had not received the statement by its publication deadline.
N.C. High School Athletic Association associate commissioner Rick Strunk said he was not familiar with the situation but stated that player eligibility issues are most often self-reported by the schools.
The Mavs’ record drops to 0-2 after falling to Charlotte Ardrey Kell last week.
Marvin Ridge coach Scott Chadwick referred questions regarding the forfeit to Allran but did offer a statement.
“We’ve talked to the kids all week about how you respond to adversity,” said Chadwick. “This is certainly a lot of adversity, and we’ll find out how they respond to it. We’ve got a long season left to play, and I would imagine we’ll respond pretty well.”